NOTE: This job listing has closed. As of June 30, 2017, we are no longer seeking applicants.
Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Position: Reporting to the Head Men’s Basketball Coach, the Assistant Coach is responsible for assisting the head coach in all aspects of guiding an intercollegiate basketball program that achieves excellence in the development of student-athletes spiritually, socially, academically, and athletically.
- Commitment to a coaching philosophy/style consistent with Christian principles and high standards of personal integrity and sportsmanship.
- Bachelor’s degree and demonstrated record of support for academic priorities in higher education and intercollegiate sports. Master’s degree preferred.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Willing and able to work nights, weekends, holidays, and early mornings.
- Willing and able to travel extensively November through March, and July.
- Extensive camp experience is preferred
- Knowledge of Video Analytical Software such as Synergy, Gamebreaker, Hudl, Krossover, and FastDraw preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with some knowledge of marketing and public relations
- Fundraising experience preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with all university constituencies, including students, faculty, staff, administration, fans, alumni, trustees, members of the media, and program and institutional donors.
- Ability to promote and present a program that adds value to the campus-life experience of all students and is attractive to the broader university community.
- Understanding of NCAA rules and demonstrated commitment to compliance with all applicable national, conference and institutional regulations governing intercollegiate athletics.
- Ability to understand and willingness to comply with all university policies.
- Ability to accurately assess and recruit students with the capacity to meet the academic rigors of Oklahoma Christian University and to compete athletically at the highest levels of the NCAA-Division II.
- Highly cooperative and collaborative with all university programs, including intramurals, campus wellness, student life, and academic endeavors, such as the sports and wellness degree program.
- Commitment to the university’s mission to transform lives for Christian faith, scholarship and service and willingness to serve with a second-mile spirit.
- For all students, especially those participating in intercollegiate basketball, a commitment to education of the whole person.
- Ability to articulate a persuasive case for the educational value of intercollegiate sport and the basketball program.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and ability to communicate and positively engage students and colleagues across racial and cultural barriers.
- Personal history and reputation that demonstrate high standards of professional integrity and social responsibility consistent with the calling of a disciple of Christ.
- Active membership in a congregation of the Church of Christ.
- Assist the head coach in leading the university’s basketball program in a manner that is distinctively Christian.
- Recruit and develop student-athletes to a standard of success that aspires to each individual’s full potential---spiritually, socially, academically and athletically.
- Fundraising and marketing duties for the women’s basketball team as assigned by the Men’s Basketball Head Coach.
- Organize and direct community service projects for the Men’s Basketball Program.
- Ensure personal and program compliance with NCAA and conference rules and university policies, including successful performance annually on the NCAA recruiting exam.
- Monitor academic progress of all men’s basketball student-athletes, including oversight of study hall sessions.
- Oversee all basketball program activities to ensure their safety and positive contribution to the welfare of participating students.
- Coordinate with the athletics department and other departments (including summer academies, sports/wellness degree or similar academic programs) to develop outreach programs such as youth camps and coaching clinics that promote and support the basketball program, the athletics department and other university programs and initiatives.
- Oversee scheduling and travel arrangements
- Direct and maintain all video operations
- Maintain and manage basketball equipment and facilities including, but not limited to, floors, laundry, bleacher, dressing room, and vehicle maintenance.
- Effectively collaborate with other university departments and serve on university and/or departmental committees as assigned.
- Other appropriate duties as assigned.
- Occasional heavy lifting is required.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications and comparable higher education cohort benchmarks.
- Standard University benefits package:
- Health insurance premium support
- Retirement plan: 403(b) matching contribution
- Tuition discount and other staff benefits
Timetable: Application review begins immediately and continues until position is filled. Applications received by April 20, 2017 are assured full consideration. To apply, submit a resume, cover letter, statement of faith, and OC application form to Human Resources at email@example.com or Box 11000, Oklahoma City, OK 73136.
All support materials/communications should also be directed to the above address of the human resources department and noted to the attention of the Men's Assistant Basketball Search Committee. Please do not attempt to contact directly members of the Committee or the University staff.
Oklahoma Christian University is a private liberal arts university affiliated with the Churches of Christ. The University complies with all laws regarding race, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, military service, and disability. As a religious educational institution the University is permitted by law to consider religious beliefs and practices in making employment decisions and the University does so to achieve its mission.
Oklahoma Christian University is looking for employees who are willing to express the “The Second Mile-Serving One Another” goal of the University, to demonstrate a personal faith in Jesus Christ, to be actively involved in a local Church of Christ, and to support the Christian mission of the University.