NOTE: This job listing has closed. As of August 26, 2014, we are no longer seeking applicants.
Position: Reports to both the Chair of the Biology Department and the Chair of the Chemistry & Physics Department
Primary Qualifications: Service-oriented and public-friendly disposition. Effective communication skills, including ability to work in a technology-dependent environment. Proficient with common software tools: Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Ability to learn how to use Datatel and Colleague software packages. Strong organizational and clerical skills. Good interpersonal skills, including ability to maintain positive relationships with a diverse constituency of students, faculty and staff. Good listening skills and ability to interface with other offices across the University. College degree preferred. Strong identification with and support of Oklahoma Christian University’s goals and mission. Trustworthy and able to appropriately manage confidential and sensitive information. Active membership in a congregation of the Church of Christ is required.
- Assists Chairs in finalizing class schedules each semester, entering course details into University computer system. Collaborates with the Administrative Assistant in the College of Engineering and Computer Science to make room assignments.
- Maintains faculty information, such as contact details, schedules, and faculty load.
- Orders all equipment and supplies for classroom and laboratory instruction, maintaining departmental financial records, managing budgets and all expenditures.
- Assists faculty in student advising by periodically reviewing degree audits of current students annotating them for review with each advisee by faculty member.
- Hires and supervises student workers in the Noble Science Wing departmental office, including preparing timesheets.
- Schedules prospective student visits with faculty members and prepares the degree plan folders for the visits.
- Maintains electronic “shared” files, such as degree plans and other departmental documents.
- Assists in the planning and hosting of on-campus departmental events, such as student attendance at Science Chapel, and arrangements for informal student-faculty gatherings.
- Assists Chairs in administering student scholarships and awards.
- Transmits announcements to science students and faculty by use of University groups on email.
- Assists Chairs in preparing meeting invitations and determining best time to meet.
- Performs clerical tasks to support the faculty and staff.
- Serves as a point of contact for science students needing assistance or information by maintaining a presence in the administrative office and through the supervision of student workers.
- Assists with daily communication by answering departmental phone calls, and helping Chairs and faculty with routine correspondence.
- Collects and compiles information on student assessment and achievement as directed by faculty members completing annual Program Review and Assessment Reports.
- Prepares materials for presentations and classes on campus, such as student laboratory manuals.
- Standard office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. throughout the year, except for 15 hours per week during the months of June and July.
- Occasional attendance at evening and weekend events is required.
Salary and Benefits:
- Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Standard University benefits package:
- Health insurance premium support
- 403(b) matching contributions
- Tuition discount and other staff benefits
Timetable: Application review begins immediately, and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Instructions: Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and completed OC Employment Application to HR Assistant Lisa Jones, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Box 11000, Oklahoma City, OK 73136.
Oklahoma Christian University is a private liberal arts university affiliated with the Churches of Christ. Applicants should be active members of the Church of Christ and have a personal life that reflects the teachings, example, and love of Jesus Christ.
Oklahoma Christian University complies with all laws regarding nondiscrimination in employment, including those with respect to race, color, age, gender, national origin, marital status, military service, and disability. As a religious educational institution the University is permitted by law to consider religious beliefs and practices in making employment decisions and the University does so to achieve its mission.