Students loan borrowers should always first borrow through the Federal Student Guaranteed Loan Programs (i.e. Stafford and Perkins loans). Borrowing through these programs (rather than Alternative Student Loans) will often result in lower annual interest rates and will allow for more flexibility in loan repayment options.
The National Student Loan Data System, www.nslds.ed.gov, provides information concerning your student loans (including the amount and the name of the loan servicer(s). Please note: www.nslds.ed.gov will not provide information concerning any non-federal student loans (such as private student loans).
Federal Stafford Loan Repayment Options
- Standard Repayment
- Extended Repayment
- Graduated Repayment
- Income Based Repayment (IBR)
- Income Contingent Repayment (ICR)
- Teachers serving in a low income schools are eligible for loan forgiveness and/or loan cancellation. Visit Cancellation/Deferment Options for Teachers to learn more.
- Public Service Employees
- Public Service Employees may have up to 100% of their Federal Perkins loan cancelled. The Perkins Discharge & Cancellation Summary shows which professions are eligible for Perkins loan cancellation and how much can be cancelled. Contact Oklahoma Christian's Perkins Loan servicer, ECSI, to learn if your Perkins loan is eligible for cancellation.
- Loan Forgiveness for Public Service Employees is available for Federal Stafford and Perkins loan borrowers in certain circumstances after 120 consecutive monthly payments have been made.
Because Oklahoma Christian believes financial wellness is essential to our students' well-being, we've partnered with American Student Assistance to offer a software tool called SALT at no cost to our students and recent alumni.
SALT’s exclusive features enable students to:
- Search for scholarships they may be eligible to receive.
- Search for thousands of jobs and internships by keyword and location.
- Track their student loans in one place with a personal loan dashboard.
- Become more savvy spenders with members-only discounts.
- Boost their financial smarts using interactive lessons, videos, articles, and infographics.
Click the following link to watch a short info video - SALT Overview.
Go to www.oc.edu/saltmoney to login to SALT. Just click on the “Sign Up” button, select Oklahoma Christian as your school, and you’re on your way.
Remember, this costs you nothing, but can potentially save you thousands of dollars.