Oklahoma Christian offers students many opportunities for solo performances in their area of emphasis. Ensemble and group musical experiences include band, choir, chamber music, orchestra, jazz, and musical theatre. OC’s music degrees are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music and our music students have a 100% pass rate on state teacher certification exams.
We are committed to providing student musicians with the finest possible academic and performance programs and facilities. Students have access to what has been recognized as one of the best fine arts complexes in the state, and OC is one of a select group of colleges and universities nationwide to bear the prestigious designation as an All-Steinway School.
Interesting Classes I Might Take
- Audio for Gaming
- Music Education Technology
- Music History
- Music Theory
- Private Vocal, Piano, or Instrumental lessons
- Piano Pedagogy
- Steel Drum Ensemble
- Vocal Pedagogy
- All Courses
What I Can Do With My Degree
Ensemble Director, Music Educator, Private Instructor, Symphony or Opera Company Performer, University Professor, Worship/Youth Minister
B.A. Degree in Music
B.M.E. Degree in Music/Instrumental Emphasis
B.M.E. Degree in Music/Vocal Emphasis
OC Music Department Mission statement: The Oklahoma Christian University Department of Music provides a faith-affirming environment in which students, faculty, and the community may develop skills to understand, appreciate, and/or perform music.
Goals and Outcomes
Goals and objectives:
- The Music Department provides experiences that lead to greater appreciation of music for all OC students, faculty, and the community.
- The Music Department invites the community to a variety of concerts, productions, and recitals each year.
- The Music Department requires students to attend music programs each term, including departmental productions and concerts offered on- and off-campus.
- The Music Department promotes music as a vital component of the liberal arts environment and portrays, through various core curriculum courses and public performances, the value of music as central to the human experience.
- The Music Department seeks to improve understanding of and appreciation for world music.
- The music faculty pursues opportunities for growth through performing, attending conferences, and participating in research and course development.
- The Music curriculum challenges students of diverse musical backgrounds, abilities, and interests to progress toward excellence in musical understanding and performance.
- The Music Department seeks to attract to the university students who have previous experience in music and to encourage those students to participate in ensembles and productions.
- The Music Department offers applied lessons and classes to students from beginning through advanced levels of instruction.
- The Music Department offers diverse vocal and instrumental ensemble experiences and stage productions, allowing students to participate in collective music-making at an appropriately advanced level.
- The music faculty encourages excellence in student performance through quality instruction and regular written and oral evaluations of lessons and performances.
- The Music Department provides programs of study for students to accomplish their academic and professional goals.
- The Music Department prepares music education majors for excellence in classroom teaching and to meet certification requirements of the State of Oklahoma and standards of the National Association of Schools of Music.
- The Music Department provides pedagogy classes and lab experiences to develop excellent mentoring skills for students who desire to teach in a music studio.
- The Music Department offers a broad course of study in the liberal arts that emphasizes the study of music.
- The Music Department produces graduates who have the musical and academic preparation for admission to graduate schools.
- The music faculty solicits and seriously considers input from students, graduates, employers of graduates, cooperating teachers, other music professionals, and the community in assessing strengths and weaknesses of our program and making needed improvements.
- The Music Department incorporates music technology into music instruction, performance, assessment, and career planning.
- The Music Department provides experiences for students to use available technology in their coursework.
- The Music Department provides an online rubric for individual student performance assessment.
- The Music Department provides several labs with hardware and software to aid students in music instruction and performance.
- The Music faculty assists students in developing the personal qualities of discipline, integrity, responsibility, and service.
- The music faculty takes seriously their roles as leaders in mentoring, and in modeling discipline, integrity, and service in the music profession and in life.
- The music faculty advises students in making academic decisions and in understanding the commitment necessary to succeed in their music courses as well as in the music profession.
- The music faculty encourages and challenges students to live purposeful lives of service.
- The music faculty strives to integrate faith and learning throughout the curriculum.
Outcomes for Music Graduates
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Music in Education degree in Music will:
- Demonstrate the ability to hear, identify, and work conceptually with the elements of music: rhythm, melody, harmony and structure.
- Demonstrate an understanding of compositional processes, aesthetic properties of style, and the ways these shape and are shaped by artistic and cultural forces.
- Demonstrate an acquaintance with a wide selection of musical literature, the principal eras, genres, and cultural sources.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly and think independently, critically, and creatively regarding musical judgments.
- Demonstrate an ability in performing areas appropriate to the student's needs and interests, and the standards of the department, and the ability to perform from a cross-section of that repertory.
- Demonstrate an ability to sight read.
- Demonstrate an acquaintance with repertories beyond the area of specialization through attending recitals, concerts, musical theater and opera productions, and other performances. level courses.
OC students recognized among the best in the nation for Up to Us campaign
State Reps. Osburn and Sanders to speak at OC about the nation's debt crisis
OK Psychological Society to Host Annual Conference at OC April 19