This degree is designed as preparation for those who plan to obtain a certificate to teach social studies in grades 6-12. The state of Oklahoma requires teacher education to be competency based; thus, this degree aims at providing students with the knowledge and skills to achieve competency in the various social studies. The program requires a minimum total of 45 hours distributed among all of the following fields: American history, world history, historical research, Oklahoma history, government, sociology, economics, and geography. Historical research is not a teaching area, but 6 hours are required for the degree.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Social Studies Education will:
- Have a broad knowledge of the fundamentals of the social studies, including American and world history, political science, economics, sociology and geography.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the nature of history and knowledge of basic research techniques, the use of documents and the handling of evidence, as part of a Christian worldview.
- Demonstrate analytical and critical thinking through effective communication of independent research.
- Understand and employ principles of effective teaching.
- See teaching as an opportunity for Christian service as well as a vocation.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
78 hours, Professional Education minor included
1. 6 hours required American history
- HIST-2213 - History of the U.S. to 1877
- HIST-2223 - History of the U.S. Since 1877
2. 6 hours 3000/4000 level American history courses
- HIST-4013 - Revolutionary and Early National America, 1763-1815 is highly recommended
3. 3 hours required western civilization
- HIST-2923 - Perspectives in Western Civilization
4. 6 hours other world history, including 3 hours numbered 3000 and above
- HIST-2613 - The Modern Middle East is highly recommended.
5. 6 hours historical research; both must be passed with a grade of C or better.
- HIST-2123 - Introduction to Historical Research
- HIST-4733 - Senior History Seminar
6. 6 hours geography chosen from
- GEOG-2113 - Elements of Human Geography
- GEOG-2313 - Physical Geography
- GEOG-2213 - World Regional Geography
7. 3 hours economics
- ECON-2113 - Macroeconomic Principles
8. 3 hours American government
- POLS-2113 - Introduction to American Politics
9. 3 hours sociology
- SOCI-1113 - Perspectives in Sociology
10. 3 hours Oklahoma history
- HIST-2313 - Oklahoma History
Also, students should choose Physical Science to meet their science requirement in the core.
11. 25 semester hours, professional education
- EDUC-3121 - Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 - The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3213 - Learning, Instruction and Assessment
- EDUC-3422 - Educational Technology
- EDUC-3723 - Education of the Exceptional Child
- EDUC-4013 - Human Relations and Behavior Management
- EDUC-4131 - Applied Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- EDUC-4132 - Critical Issues in Education
- EDUC-4718 - Student Teaching in the Secondary School
12. 5 hours other courses
- EDUC-4112 - Reading in the Content Areas
- PSYC-3523 - Developmental Psychology
13. 3 hours, methods courses
- EDUC-4473 - Methods of Teaching Social Studies in Secondary Schools
14. Foreign language competency choose one:
High School Foreign Language – 2 years of same language with a grade of “C” or better
University credit – 3 hours foreign language or American Sign Language with a grade of “C” or better.
- Legislative Bodies
- Libraries and Archives
- Research Institutes
- Teaching (primary school, middle school, high school and university level)