This degree is designed for students who are preparing to work in sports, wellness, fitness, and recreational professions. The major emphasizes the role of sport,
wellness, and recreation in the work environment as well as each student’s individual life.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Sport, Wellness, and Recreation Management will:
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the foundational principles of sports, wellness, and recreation and be able to apply these principles to specific work environments.
- Exhibit the ability to adapt to new and changing job environments and to work independently.
- Work effectively with others in a team environment, including being a good leader as well as supporting the group leader.
- Possess a working knowledge of advanced certification training opportunities in sport, wellness, and recreation management.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the liberal arts, and an ability to think, act, and communicate from a Christian worldview in all areas of life.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 12 hours foundation courses
- MGMT-3113 - Principles of Management
- PHED-1113 - Introduction to Sport, Wellness, and Recreation Management
- PHED-4113 - Organization of Sport Wellness and Recreation Management
- PHED-4613 - Capstone Skills
2. 15 hours sport
- PHED-3233 - Theory of Coaching Basketball
- PHED-3242 - Theory of Coaching Volleyball
- PHED-3252 - Theory of Coaching Baseball and Softball
- PHED-3262 - Theory of Coaching Track and Field
- PHED-3272 - Theory of Coaching Tennis & Golf
- PHED-3282 - Theory of Coaching Soccer
- PHED-3293 - Coaching Ethics and Sports Psychology
3. 15 hours wellness
- BIOL-2033 - Nutrition
- PHED-2312 - First Aid
- PHED-2412 - Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries
- PHED-2512 - Wellness Concepts
- PHED-3113 - Kinesiology
- PHED-4323 - Physiology of Sport and Exercise
4. 14 hours recreation
- PHED-2612 - Sports Officiating
- PHED-2702 - Sports Lab I
- PHED-2712 - Sports Lab II
- PHED-2722 - Sports Lab III
- PHED-4123 - Recreation Leadership and Youth Sports
- PHED-4513 - Recreational Activities for the Disabled
- Teaching (elementary school, middle school, high school and university level)
- Curriculum Development
- Guidance Counseling
- Public Libraries
- Program Development
- Literacy Programs