An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Public Communication and Leadership will:
- Learn a variety of theories related to communication and leadership and will learn how to apply those theories in praxis.
- Learn a variety of communicative and leadership skills and techniques for the management of interpersonal relations, group leadership and social media.
- Explore ethical approaches to communication leadership and from a Christian faith perspective.
- Learn ethical persuasive techniques, grounded in Christian faith, to help them become skillful advocates for important social issues.
- Learn how to plan, host and conduct public forums for issues of public importance and controversial issues.
- Learn peacemaking and conflict management skills.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
43 hours, minor required
1. 13 hours communication core courses
- COMM-2513 - Communication Theory
- COMM-3333 - Teams and Team Leadership
- COMM-4113 - Persuasion and Advocacy
- COMM-4631 - Senior Seminar in Communication
- COMM-4733 - Communication Ethics
2. 21 hours communication leadership
- COMM-2113 - Writing Across Media
- COMM-3233 - Public Image & Reputation Management
- COMM-3243 - Planning, Organizing, and Leading Events
- COMM-3323 - Organizational Communication
- COMM-4633 - Intercultural Communication I
- COMM-4673 - Symposium in Public Communication & Leadership
- COMM-4523 - Conflict Resolution and Negotiation
3. 6 hours chosen from
- COMM-3353 - Interpersonal Communication
- COMM-3413 - Augmentation and Debate
- COMM-3723 - Interviewing
- COMM-4813 - SS: Spec Studies Communication
- COMM-4933 - Independent Study
4. 3 hours chosen from
- BUSA-3213 - Business Law
- COMM-4713 - Media Law
- POLS-4113 - Constitutional Law
- State Government
- Local Government
- Public Administration
- Public Organizations
- Nonprofit Organizations