The major consists of three years of university work plus two semesters of Medical Laboratory Science Program courses.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science will:
- Safely collect, process, perform and report routine clinical laboratory tests on biological specimens and other substances, with precision and accuracy under minimal supervision within a reasonable length of time.
- Perform routine maintenance, standardization, calibration procedures for laboratory equipment and use necessary corrective methods to maintain and improve laboratory quality controls.
- Use problem solving skills to recognize abnormal patient values and apply appropriate corrective procedures.
- Correlate didactic instruction with laboratory results in the diagnosis and treatment of patients to understand the concept of total patient care.
- Communicate well with all levels of personnel while demonstrating professional and ethical conduct, and adhere to patient safety guidelines.
- Stay current with new laboratory technologies and procedures through continuing professional education.
Student must complete a minimum of 128 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 128 hours.
19 HOURS OF CHEMISTRY
- CHEM-1115 - General Chemistry I
- CHEM-1215 - General Chemistry II
- CHEM-3115 - Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM-4014 - Biochemistry I and Lab
26 HOURS OF BIOLOGY
- BIOL-1115 - General Biology: I Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BIOL-2314 - Genetics
- BIOL-2623 - Anatomy and Physiology II
- BIOL-3415 - General Microbiology
- BIOL-3432 - Pathogenic Microbiology Lab
- BIOL-3433 - Pathogenic Microbiology
- BIOL-4201- Immunology Lab
- BIOL-4213 - Immunology
3 HOURS OF MATHEMATICS
- MATH-1213 - College Algebra
3 HOURS OF STATISTICS
- BIOL-2913 - Biostatistics
3 HOURS OF BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE CHOSEN FROM
- PSYC-1113 - General Psychology I
- SOCI-1113 - Perspectives in Sociology
1 HOUR OF SCIENCE SEMINAR
- GNSC-3711 - Junior Science Seminar
COMPLETE 31 HOURS MLS PROGRAM
- MLSP-4001 - Intro to Med Lab
- MLSP-4002 - Pathogenic Micro Practicum
- MLSP-4003 - Clinical Pathogenic Micro
- MLSP-4005 - Clinical Immunology, Immunohematology and Lab
- MLSP-4011 - Urinalysis and Body Fluids
- MLSP-4012 - Blood Bank Practicum
- MLSP-4021 - Hemostasis
- MLSP-4101 - MLS Certification Review
- MLSP-4102 - Laboratory Management
- MLSP-4103 - Clinical Chemistry
- MLSP-4104 - Hematology and Lab
- MLSP-4112 - Hematology, Coag, UA, BF Practicum
- MLSP-4122 - Chemistry Practicum
- MLSP-4321 - Misc Lab Practicum
ADMISSION TO THE MLS PROGRAM
Prior to admittance to MLS Program a student must:
- Complete all courses with a grade of C or better
- Competitive applicants will have a minimum cumulative & major GPA of 2.75
- Pass a Federal background check, drug screen & complete immunizations
Note: Transfer students must complete 6 semesters of MLS Prerequisites to apply to the MLS Program
Graduation with a major in Medical Laboratory Science does not guarantee passing the ASCP certification exam. Visit our website for a copy of the handbook for the MLS program, www.oc.edu/mls.
Students who have been convicted of a crime, other than a minor traffic violation, could be ineligible for admission to the university or for clinical rotations.
- Dental Hygienist
- Medical Doctor
- Medical Research and Technology
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Physician's Associate
- Professor/ Teacher