74 hours, plus 6 additional hours in biblical languages required, no minor required
The Preaching Ministry major is specifically designed for students who want to do public and pulpit preaching. The major will prepare a student very well for general ministry, but is intentional in specifically equipping and enhancing the student’s homiletic skills.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Preaching Ministry
- Demonstrate above average knowledge of the Bible, its chronology and themes.
- Demonstrate the ability to exegete, organize and present biblical subjects in a contemporary, relevant manner.
- Demonstrate an above average knowledge of and ability in essential ministry skills, particularly in preparing and delivering sermons.
- Demonstrate skill in the non-preaching duties of a minister and an understanding of the culture in the church today.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the world beyond the church and an ability to relate to it in a meaningful manner.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 23 hours foundation courses
- BIBL-2512 - Personal Evangelism
- BIBL-2713 - Introduction to Ministry
- BIBL-3013 - Hermeneutics
- BIBL-3203 - Biblical Exegesis
- BIBL-3823 - Counseling for Ministers
- BIBL-3913 - Homiletics I: Preparation & Delivery of Religious Speeches
- BIBL-4753 - Seminar in Christian Ministry
- BIBL-4763 - Homiletics II: Advanced Homiletics
2. 3 hours required
3. 8 hours Old Testament textual courses
4. 9 hours New Testament textual courses
5. 3 hours elective Old or New Testament textual courses
6. 3 hours required
7. 11 hours required
- BIBL-4232 - Life and Work of the Minister
- BIBL-4523 - Senior Bible Seminar: Christ and His World
- BIBL-4713 - Restoration Movement
- MISS-3513 - World Religions
8. 8 hours chosen from
- BIBL-2312 - Evidences of Christianity (Apologetics)
- BIBL-3113 - The New Testament Church
- BIBL-3153 - Church Growth
- BIBL-3413 - Christian Family
9. 3 hours chosen from
10. 3 hours practicum
11. 6 hours, biblical languages
A student must take 6 hours of Greek or 6 hours of Hebrew in addition to the above requirements for the B.A. in Religious Education.
- University Professor