An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in History will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the nature of history and knowledge of basic research techniques, the use of documents and the handling of evidence, as part of a Christian worldview.
- Demonstrate analytical and critical thinking through effective communication of independent research.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of American, European, and public history.
- Be able to apply Christian ethics to life situations, as a leader in the home, community and church.
- Have an increased understanding of people of different cultures, times and places.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
42 hours, minor required, plus 6 hours of same foreign language
1. 6 hours Western Civilization
- HIST-2923 - Perspectives in Western Civilization
- any European history course
2. 6 hours American History
- HIST-2213 - History of the U.S. to 1877
- HIST-2223 - History of the U.S. Since 1877
3. 9 hours research courses; each must be passed with a grade of C or better.
- HIST-2123 - Introduction to Historical Research
- HIST-2813 - Data Analysis
- HIST-4733 - Senior History Seminar
4. 3 hours public history
- HIST-2723 - Introduction to Public History
5. 15 hours 3000/4000 level courses
6. 3 hours history electives
7. 6 hours in the same foreign language
- Legislative Bodies
- Libraries and Archives
- Research Institutes
- Teaching (primary school, middle school, high school and university level)