42 hours, minor required plus 6 hours of same foreign language
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English/Teaching English as a Foreign Language will:
- Demonstrate competence in teaching English as a foreign language either abroad or domestically.
- Demonstrate comprehension of linguistics, grammar, intercultural communication, language learning theory, and teaching methodology.
- Demonstrate the ability to think, read, and write critically, especially on issues related to language, learning, and teaching.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and appreciation for the diversities among people around the world.
- Engage in and articulate a personal integration of faith and learning.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 21 hours specialized TEFL
- ENGL-1331 - TEFL Experience I
- ENGL-2332 - TEFL Experience II
- ENGL-3313 - Introduction to Linguistics
- ENGL-3713 - Structure of the English Language
- ENGL-3723 - Methods of TEFL I
- ENGL-4713 - Methods of TEFL II
- ENGL-4633 - Intercultural Communication I
- ENGL-4863 - TEFL Student Teaching Practicum
2. 3 hours English gateway
- ENGL-2223 - Introduction to Writing About Literature
This course must be completed before enrolling in upper level Literature courses.
3. 9 hours literature taught in English
4. 3 hours Senior Seminar
- ENGL-4733 - Senior Capstone
5. 6 hours chosen from the following
- ENGL-3493 - Technical Writing
- ENGL-4113 - Studies in Chaucer
- ENGL-4213 - Studies in Shakespeare
- GEOG-2113 - Elements of Human Geography
- GEOG-2213 - World Regional Geography
- HIST-2513 - English History to 1603
- HIST-2523 - English History Since 1603
- HIST-2923 - Perspectives in Western Civilization
- SOCI-3513 - World Religions
- SOCI-3613 - Cultural Anthropology
6. 6 hours foreign language
- Take 6 hours of the same foreign language
- Teaching (elementary school, middle school, high school and university level)
- Curriculum Development
- Guidance Counseling
- Public Libraries
- Program Development
- Literacy Programs