B.F.A. Degree in Art
This major is for the person wanting a general background in art or a vocation in the field of art and its related industries.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Art will:
- Demonstrate effective problem solving skills as applied to visual communications, artistic expression, and graphic design.
- Demonstrate a working understanding of art history: genres, artists, movements, and practitioner
- Articulate an understanding of one’s integration of faith and design/artistic expression.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly and think independently.
- Demonstrate a commitment to scholarship and creative expression.
- Demonstrate an ability to reproduce a visual impression/representation of form, substance, light, and shadow though figure and perspective drawing.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 36 hours core
- ARTS-1103 - Technology for Graphics
- ARTS-1113 - Fundamentals of Drawing
- ARTS-1213 - Figure Drawing
- ARTS-1413 - Elements of Visual Thinking
- ARTS-2323 - Digital Design for Print
- ARTS-2403 - Digital Photography
- ARTS-2423 - History of Photography and Motion Pictures
- ARTS-2523 - Form & Communication
- ARTS-3333 - History of Design
- ARTS-3343 - Ancient to Modern Art History
- ARTS-3353 - Contemporary Art
- ARTS-3773 - The Business of Branding Yourself
2. 6 hours printmaking
- ARTS-3113 - Printmaking: Intaglio and Relief
- ARTS-3123 - Printmaking: Serigraphy
3. 9 hours painting
- ARTS-2513 - Painting I
- ARTS-3213 - Painting II
- ARTS-4213 - Open Studio
4. 6 hours illustration
- ARTS-3523 - Illustration I
- ARTS-4523 - Illustration II
5. 6 hours professional design
- ARTS-2223 - Introduction to Communication Design
- ARTS-2233 - Type As Visual Language
6. 12 hours Art & Design Electives
- 12 hours from Art Department. Senior Exhibit allowed with advisor approval.