Since it was founded as Central Christian College in 1950, Oklahoma Christian University in Oklahoma City has maintained strong ties with the Churches of Christ as a higher learning community. We are a Church of Christ university that transforms lives for Christian faith, leadership, and service.
While we recognize that a Christian college is not the church, we are a Christian community which seeks to be guided by the teachings of our Lord Jesus Christ as revealed in scripture. We welcome all students, regardless of their church affiliation, who agree to abide by our covenant.
As was the case when members of the Churches of Christ founded OC, there are many faith-building and spiritual opportunities that are part of campus life. The entire campus gathers for a daily chapel program at 11:00am. OC students nurture their spiritual life with Bible classes, service opportunities, mission trips, devotionals and participating in a local congregation. The university also serves the community with its annual lectureship each October.
As a higher learning community dedicated to a faith-based mission, OC seeks to unite with others in the Christian community. The following is a list of just a handful of notable Oklahoma Christian University alumni:
- Molefi Kete Asante, who attended under his birth name of Arthur Lee Smith, Jr., and went on to become the founder the first Ph.D. program in African-American Studies at UCLA.
- Sherri Coale, head coach of the University of Oklahoma Sooners women’s basketball team.
- Dan Branch, member of the Texas House of Representatives.
- Sam Winterbotham, an Oklahoma Christian Athletic Hall of Fame inductee, head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers men’s tennis team at the University of Tennessee.
- Silas Kisorio, a Kenyan middle distance runner who became the first person to be inducted into the Oklahoma Christian Athletic Hall of Fame while still a student.
- Andrew K. Benton, president of Pepperdine University, has been honored as an outstanding alumnus of the College of Liberal Arts.
- Darryl Tippens, provost of Pepperdine University
- James Hallmark, vice chancellor for academic affairs, Texas A&M University.
As part of this mission of unity, OC also maintains an alumni network of former students who wish to keep in touch with their classmates. This network can be found at connect.oc.edu