57 hours, professional education minor included
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Education degree will:
- Show that he or she has acquired competency in a broad general education through study in the liberal arts by successfully completing the university core curriculum and passing the Oklahoma General Education Test (OGET).
- Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of the subject matter for the subject and level to be taught by achieving a 3.00 GPA in the major field and passing the Oklahoma Subject Area Test (OSAT) appropriate to the major field.
- Demonstrate that he or she has acquired the knowledge, skills, and dispositions appropriate for initial entry into the profession of teaching by completing a specified curriculum in professional education courses with no grades below a grade of C, passing the Oklahoma Professional Teacher Education Exam (OPTE), and receiving average ratings of Proficient on the Formative and Summative assessments in student teaching.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 32 hours education
- ELEM-3233 - Primary Reading
- ELEM-3233P - Primary Reading Practicum
- ELEM-3323 - Movement and Fine Arts
- ELEM-3332 - Elementary Language Arts
- ELEM-3632 - Social Studies for Primary Students
- ELEM-3733 - Mathematics for Primary Students
- ELEM-3832 - Science for Primary Students
- ELEM-3900P - Primary Practicum
- ELEM-4242 - Social Studies for Intermediate Students
- ELEM-4342 - Mathematics for Intermediate Students
- ELEM-4433 - Intermediate Reading
- ELEM-4443 - Science for Intermediate Students
- ELEM-4544 - Strategies for Reading Assessment
- ELEM-4900P - Intermediate Practicum
- PSYC-3523 - Developmental Psychology
Note: Practicum courses (P) do not affect the GPA and do not add to the semester course load. Grades earned in practicum courses reflect candidate performance in public school classrooms.
2. 48 hours general education
- Communication 12 hours
- Mathematics 12 hours
- Science 12 hours
- Social Studies 12 hours
University core courses apply to these requirements
3. 25 hours professional education minor
- EDUC-3121 - Orientation to Teacher Education
- EDUC-3122 - The School in American Culture
- EDUC-3213 - Learning, Instruction and Assessment
- EDUC-3422 - Educational Technology
- EDUC-3723 - Education of the Exceptional Child
- EDUC-4013 - Human Relations and Behavior Management
- EDUC-4131 - Applied Instructional and Assessment Strategies
- EDUC-4132 - Critical Issues in Education
- EDUC-4618 - Student Teaching in the Elementary School
4. Foreign Language Competency
Options: choose one:
- High School Foreign Language – 2 years of same language with a grade of “C” or better;
- University credit – 3 hours foreign language (including American Sign Language) with a grade of “C” or better.
- Teaching (elementary school, middle school, high school and university level)
- Curriculum Development
- Guidance Counseling
- Public Libraries
- Program Development
- Literacy Programs