B.S. Degree in Sport, Wellness, and Recreation Management
58 hours, no minor required
This degree is designed for students who are preparing to work in sports, wellness, fitness, and recreational professions. The major emphasizes the role of sport, wellness and recreation in the work environment as well as each student’s individual life.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree will:
Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the foundational principles of sports, wellness, and recreation and be able to apply these principles to specific work environments.
Exhibit the ability to adapt to new and changing job environments and to work independently.
Work effectively with others in a team environment, including being a good leader as well as supporting the group leader.
Possess a working knowledge of advanced certification training opportunities in sport, wellness, and recreation management.
Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of the liberal arts, and an ability to think, act, and communicate from a Christian worldview in all areas of life.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 12 hours foundation courses
- MGMT-3113 - Principles of Management
- PHED-1113 - Introduction to Sport, Wellness, and Recreation Management
- PHED-4113 - Organ and Administration of Phys Educ
- PHED-4613 - Capstone Skills
2. 18 hours sport
- PHED-2612 - Sports Officiating
- PHED-3233 - Theory of Coaching Basketball
- PHED-3242 - Theory of Coaching Volleyball
- PHED-3252 - Theory of Coaching Baseball & Softball
- PHED-3262 - Theory of Coaching Track & Feild
- PHED-3272 - Theory of Coaching Tennis and Golf
- PHED-3282 - Theory of Coach Soccer
- PHED-3293 - Coaching Ethics and Sports Psychology
3. 15 hours wellness
- BIOL-2033 - Nutrition
- PHED-2312 - First Aid
- PHED-2412 - Care-Prev Athlete Injuries
- PHED-2512 - Wellness Concepts
- PHED-3113 - Kinesiology
- PHED-4323 - Physiology of Sport and Exercise
4. 13 hours recreation
- PHED-2702 - Sports Lab I
- PHED-2712 - Sports Lab II
- PHED-4123 - Rec Leadership & Youth Sports
- PHED-4213 - Organ & Admin of Intramurals
- PHED-4513 - Recreation for the Disabled
5. 2 hours activity courses chosen from
- PHED-1611 - Beginning Tennis
- PHED-1621 - Advanced Tennis
- PHED-1811 - Basketball Fundamentals
- PHED-1821 - Golf
- PHED-1911 - Badminton
- PHED-4211 - Activity Practicum I
- PHED-4311 - Activity Practicum II
- PHED-4411 - Teaching the Disabled Child
Note: Transfer students who have taken major courses and/ or professional education courses at institutions other than OC must have the courses approved as substitutions by the Chair of the School of Education. OC students who plan to take general education courses at another institution must have prior approval by the Chair of the School of Education; courses in the major and/or professional education may not be taken at another institution. OC university teacher education programs change when Oklahoma teacher education program/licensure requirements change.
- Teaching (elementary school, middle school, high school and university level)
- Curriculum Development
- Guidance Counseling
- Public Libraries
- Program Development
- Literacy Programs
For more information, contact:
Dr. Robyn Miller