B.A. Degree in Missions
61 hours, plus 6 additional hours in biblical languages required, no minor required
The B.A. in Missions, like all other Bible-related degree programs at OC, provides an acquaintance with the biblical text and the necessary auxiliary studies to allow special preparation for mission work.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Missions will:
- Learn how to communicate biblical truths effectively to people from cultural backgrounds different from their own.
- Become more aware of and sensitive to cultural differences than they were when they arrived on campus so that they can serve people from different cultural backgrounds effectively with a reduced likelihood of offending those people.
- Experience how New Testament Christianity functions in different cultural contexts through campaigns, missions internships, and, in some cases, overseas studies opportunities.
- Be sufficiently grounded in the Scriptures to be able to teach the word of God competently and faithfully regardless of the cultural context.
- Gain sufficient competence in a modern language other than English so as to be able to communicate at least at a basic level with a native speaker of that language.
- Learn the importance of the church in God’s plan of salvation for people of every nation, every tongue, and every tribe.
- Learn the importance of growing spiritually and receive instruction in how to go about pursuing spiritual growth throughout their lives.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 17 hours core courses
- BIBL-2512 - Personal Evangelism
- BIBL-2713 - Introduction to Ministry
- BIBL-3013 - Hermeneutics
- BIBL-3203 - Biblical Exegesis
- BIBL-3823 - Counseling for Ministers
- BIBL-4753 - Seminar in Christian Ministry
2. 3 hours chosen from
- BIBL-3913 - Preperation and Delivery of Religious˝Speeches
3. 3 hours chosen from
- BIBL-3173 - Church History to 1517
- BIBL-3183 - Church History 1517 to Present
- BIBL-4713 - Restoration Movement
4. 13 hours required missions courses
- MISS-3013 - Mission Preparation
- MISS-3213 - Church Growth
- MISS-3613 - Cultural Anthropology
- MISS-4714 - Missions Practicum
5. 6 hours elective missions courses
6. 5 hours Old Testament textual courses
7. 5 hours New Testament textual courses
8. 9 additional hours textual Bible courses
9. 6 hours, Biblical languages
A student must take 6 hours of Greek or 6 hours of Hebrew in addition to the above requirements for the B.A. in Missions.
- HBRW-3113 - Elementary Hebrew I
- HBRW-3213 - Elementary Hebrew II (May also count as Old Testament textual)
Note: In addition to the 6 hours of Greek, Missions majors will be required to fulfill the Bachelor of Arts language requirement with 6 hours of a modern foreign language.
- Children's Minister
- Youth Minister
- University Professor
For more information, contact:
Dr. Alan Martin