B.A. Degree in English
42 hours, minor required, plus 6 hours of same foreign language
The English major must meet all the general requirements for the B.A. degree. The major consists of 42 hours of English beyond freshman English composition.
An OC graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English will demonstrate:
- Critical thinking skills.
- Clear, correct, and effective communication in English.
- Comprehension, interpretation, and evaluation of texts, including critical works and works of British, American, and World Literature in their cultural and historical context, with the use of various theoretical methodologies.
- Basic skills in a foreign language.
- Exploration of and contribution to the world of ideas.
- Articulation of and engagement in the personal integration of faith and learning.
Student must complete a minimum of 126 hours including the major, core, and minor if required. Elective hours may be needed to reach 126 hours.
1. 9 hours foundation courses
- ENGL-2223 - Introduction to Writing About Literature
- ENGL-3013 - Literary Criticism
- ENGL-4213 - Studies in Shakespeare
2. 9 hours English literature
- ENGL-3153 - English Lit Survey I 680-1600
- ENGL-3253 - English Lit Survey II
- ENGL-3353 - English Lit Survey III 1780 to Present
3. 6 hours American literature chosen from
4. 6 hours World Literature
5. 9 hours literature electives -
- 3000-level or above
6. 3 hours Senior Seminar
7. 6 hours, foreign language
- Take 6 hours of the same foreign language
The course requirements for the English Pre-Law emphasis are the same as for the regular B.A. in English. However, students should consult with their advisors to determine which courses will best support the pre-law emphasis.
- Teaching (elementary school, middle school, high school and university level)
- Curriculum Development
- Guidance Counseling
- Public Libraries
- Program Development
- Literacy Programs
For more information, contact:
Dr. Cami Agan